Saturday 1 August 2015

Why I changed my mind – Oliseh

Sunday Oliseh

Super Eagles’ new coach, Sunday Oliseh,  has told fifa.com that Nigerians made up his mind on taking on the responsibility of becoming the coach to replace Stephen Keshi.

Oliseh had said at various fora that he did not want to coach the national team despite his qualifications, but later changed his mind.
“When I came into Nigeria to have talks, I came out of the airport and I knew there was no going back because all the way from the airport, my countrymen where saying: ‘You have to take the job, you have to take the job.’ So I did,” he said.
Oliseh has since signed a three-year contract with the task of getting Nigeria to the Nations Cup semi-finals and then to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
And at his unveiling, he made clear the fact that he was not the country’s messiah but promised to give “150 per cent” in making the Super Eagles super again.
“We are practically starting from scratch, so that is why I am saying that people should not expect miracles from us,” he said.
His first task will be to release the list of players that will form his first team to take on the Tafia Stars of Tanzania in September in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations tournament. Thereafter he will turn his focus to face either Djibouti or Swaziland – a task he has confessed to being a difficult one.
“It is going to be very, very difficult, but I believe we can qualify,” he said. “All we have to do is look at ourselves, try to improve our game and hopefully we will qualify.”

No comments:

Post a Comment